This is a typical dish from the Caribbean region of Colombia where they are sold on street stalls with a cup of coffee for an afternoon snack.
- 2 cups white corn flour
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- kosher salt
- 1 Tbs olive oil, plus more for frying
- 8 eggs
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- Mix corn flour and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups warm water and one tablespoon olive oil until dough forms; knead until smooth, 2?3 minutes.
- Divide dough into eight 4-oz. balls.
- Heat oil in a saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325°.
- Flatten balls into round disks. Working in batches, fry, flipping once, until puffed, 3?4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Increase oil to 375°.
- Slice incision horizontally without cutting all the way through to make a pocket. Crack 1 egg into pocket; fry until egg is set, 2?3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels; serve with hot sauce (optional).