Fasolada is a traditional Greek soup, mostly prepared in cold weathers. It is a healthy combination of beans, tomatoes, carrots and various healthy spices. Bean lovers will appreciate this.
- 1 cup white kidney beans
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (450 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak the beans in cold water and let them stand overnight. Slightly rinse and drain in a colander.
- Transfer the beans to a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. After 3-4 minutes pour off the boiling water, add 3 cups fresh cold water and set over a medium-high heat.
- Once the water returns to the boil stir in the carrots, tomatoes, onions, tomato paste, thyme, olive oil, oregano and celery, and season with salt and pepper. Let the dish simmer over low heat for about an hour until the beans are tender. In the end, add the chopped parsley, give a stir and remove the soup from the heat.